Public Awareness Program
Public awareness is a critical component of our overall Safety program. Our goal is to provide safe, reliable gas transmission service while ensuring the safety of people living and/or working near our natural gas pipelines. Every MoGas employee is committed to fulfilling our public awareness responsibilities as described in our Public Awareness Program.
The objectives of MoGas’ Public Awareness Program are:
- To increase the stakeholder audience’s awareness of the presence of buried natural gas transmission pipelines in the counties in which we operate, thereby reducing the likelihood and magnitude of pipeline accidents.
- To inform the public that pipelines are a relatively common and safe mode of transportation; we complete routine maintenance and monitor the pipeline 24 hours a day, and we anticipate and plan for a variety of factors to help prevent pipeline accidents.
- To educate the stakeholder audiences on methods of detecting a natural gas leak, how to recognize the odor of natural gas, and what immediate actions should be taken if they suspect a possible gas leak, including how to report the event.
- To help the appropriate emergency response agencies understand the proper actions to take in response to a pipeline accident.
- To explain the importance of a One Call System in helping excavators prevent third party damage and respond properly if they cause damage to the Company’s pipelines.